Thursday, December 18, 2008

First Off Twilight Saga, who's with me?


I wanted to start off with these books because they have something to do with the next two. And although I will be writing about each book individually, for now, I'll be tackling them as a whole. Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn, were all written by a chick named Stephenie Meyer. It's about a girl who falls in love with a vampire and blah blah blah, who doesn't know this already?
Review: It got about 9,000 golden stars from me. I found myself thinking about the characters and the story line constantly! Dreaming about finding werewolves (who are really shape-shifters) And it took an honest to goodness real effort to break the hold it had on my mind. I think anyone yearning for an impossibly good love story should read these books. But I have this nagging question in the back of my mind. Why are they soo good? So, like Bella (as most of us are) I have a theory. And if you haven't read the books don't read past this....

Theory: Bella is an every-girl. I think we can all agree on that. And of course the most unavailable and gorgeous boy in the school falls in love with her. Or you, because that's probably what you're imagining. And it is in our very nature as women to long for that god-like creature to show us extra attention. So as women, in these books, our immediate nature, our first nature is gratified.
With that in mind I have a second theory, but it goes along with the first so much that I don't feel much need to label it as such.
There is a reason why there is an apple on the cover (forbidden fruit anyone?) and the scripture from Genesis on the inside. Bella is being tempted by the ultimate sin, becoming like God (turning into a vampire). read from Genesis ch. 3 2 The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "
4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
-Thank you biblegateway.com!

And what's more is that Edward worships her like a god. The reason the serpent felt the need to throw in "and you will be like God," is because ultimately that's what it comes down to. That's what every one of us wants, to be worshiped. Not only does Bella get to be worshiped, but the worship comes from a god-like being, which of course is the highest form of elevation. And it's the most basic desire in our natural human selves being realized in these books. She would even sacrifice her own soul, not to save his, but to be with him for eternity and forsake her own God in the process.
Now Edward, being the obviously nobler creature here, hates the idea, would rather die than to ask her to sacrifice her chance at salvation. Which is why I am so conflicted with this story. He's a monster? But he wants her to be saved? It doesn't totally fit my perception on good and evil. I need to meditate on it longer....
These books are following a pattern I've seen in sooooooo many love stories. Which takes me to the next book which I think Stephenie got her inspiration from, Jane Eyre. I'm going to review Jane separately, and then have a different article on the similarities between Jane and Twilight. And there are many.

No comments:

Post a Comment