Friday, December 19, 2008

Jane Eyre



"Am I hideous, Jane?"

"Very, sir: you always were, you know." ...yes my very favorite quote from Jane Eyre. And here is another favorite, from the same chapter:

"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"

"I conscientiously believe so, Mr. Rochester."

Jane Eyre was written by Charlotte Bronte. Sister of Emily Bronte who wrote Wuthering Heights, one of the best novels I've ever read (beautiful disaster and all that). And such a contrast between Emily's notions of romance and Charlotte's! Review time!

Review: I love love love this novel! A great love story, and spiritual, giving plenty of glory to God without spewing forth mushy cotton candy religion. And not just about love for loves sake, it's also about denial for loves sake. How hard would it be to deny your true love over a technicality? I know that this book would cause every one of it's reader to ask "what would I do?" And with this assault of causing one's own introspection, you realize Jane's sacrifice. I'll admit that I doubt I would choose correctly under similar circumstances. If you haven't read it, read it! And if you have read it, read it again. Theory time, if you haven't read it and don't want to spoil the story for yourself, stop reading............ now.

Theory: I really wanted St. John to be right for her. Really wanted that. Which begs the question, what was it that God wanted for her? The simple fact that she was happy in the end doesn't really mean that the way she chose was what God wanted. I'm not trying to go all cold hearted, deep depressive , pain-is-the-only-way-to-salvation or anything. But maybe there are different kinds of happiness and maybe she went for the temporal instead of the eternal. Who knows because she isn't real! -Moving along. I do know this, God is fond of affection. Which is evident in that wonderful book in the Bible, Song of Songs. And I doubt that a perfect marriage would be void of it, which it would have been if Jane married St. John. 'I scorn your idea of love,' I could not help saying, as I rose up and stood before him, leaning my back against the rock. 'I scorn the counterfeit sentiment you offer: yes, St. John, and I scorn you when you offer it.' And I really love that at the point of repentance God carried Mr. Rochester's voice to Jane. As soon as soon as he gave himself to God, even without her, God gave him the desire of his heart. (sigh) Maybe it did happen just exactly as it should've. This one I'll definitely be passing along to my daughters, and I only pray that they turn out just as strong, righteous, and intelligent as Jane.





1 comment: